Look for the Label
Each fall, as Utah Athletics launches another exciting season, concern regarding unlicensed merchandise grows. Football and tailgating historically have been a breeding ground for counterfeit Utah product. As a supporter of the University of Utah and Utah Athletics, we need your help to change this trend!
Why does this matter? There are many reasons.
- It is illegal to use the UofU’s registered marks & names without permission.
- Licensing Revenue provides for athletic student scholarships.
- Licensed Vendors are required to join the Fair Labor Association (www.fairlabor.org). The UofU has a zero tolerance policy for sweatshop labor. The FLA contracts with us to enforce this.
- Licensed Vendors are required to carry insurance that indemnifies and protects the University of Utah.
- Licensed Product has been reviewed and approved with messages deemed appropriate to associate with our institution.
We ENCOURAGE entrepreneurs to legally produce merchandise bearing Utah marks! We have systems in place to assist individuals and businesses through the licensing process.
So how do you tell if the product is licensed or not?
- Look For the Label! A holographic label will appear on the packaging or tag of licensed product ready to be purchased.
- On game day, the Campus Store has exclusive rights to sell merchandise on campus property. If you see someone else selling merchandise, it is NOT licensed.
Our friend, Swoop has volunteered to help teach our fans via this video about unlicensed merchandise.
Please help! Don’t purchase unlicensed merchandise, and if you find it, please call our Trademarks & Licensing Director, Brett Eden at 801-581-8298. Last, but not least, if you have an idea for a shirt or have a tailgate group that wants a shirt please call Brett- he will help get your idea created through a licensed vendor.
Help us “Look for the Label” and become a strong national brand as we enter the “Pac 12 era” at the University of Utah.
- Follow us on Facebook and win prizes www.facebook.com/UtahLikesRed